ShawnJohnsonFan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shawn on Dancing with the stars, part 2.

+12
farcemaster
David K
kp1089
Vault
dallascowboy76
nurges
White Knight
mikeD
Seeher
Scrawney
Kyle Loves SJ
alcazar
16 posters

Page 6 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Shawn on Dancing with the stars, part 2. - Page 6 Empty empire waist not a good look....

Post  farcemaster Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:25 am

alcazar wrote:I think it's the "thousand yard stare" she has......I hope she remembers to smile when she's competing.

Plus that pic makes her look.............well................a bit................chunky?

I KNOW they are fashionable, but SOMEONE needs to take the kid to one side and explain that dresses that have the "waist" just below the bust are NOT flattering for Shawn's type of figure Crying or Very sad

(Here we go again)

I agree with alcazar .... about dresses that have the "waist" just below the bust ... I saw a movie one time (or was it a TV show?) that some bride-to-be needed a wedding dress but err the real problem was she was pregnant and some knowledgeable person on the show immediately said we need an "empire waist" so she won't show so much ... and from what I remember, an empire waist might have the waist right below the bust to hide what is going on in the middle....

I don't think Shawn needs to hide that! In fact I remember seeing her in another dress that alcazar would categorize has also having a waist right below the bust. I think she was wearing it in a pic with Cyndia Lauper at a reception for the Frosted Pink with a Twist benefit performance... it was the dress that had too many colors going on... so yeah this dress style just seems wrong for the reason why certain brides might considering wearing it.

I think I found a copy of the pic here:

Shawn with Cyndi Lauper

In fact here is a blog entry talking about looking either fat or pregnant while wearing an empire waist dress:

'No I'm not pregnant, I'm just fat'

and here is another Q&A talking about how well not to look pregnant while wearing an empire waist:

Q&A: How to Wear Empire Waist Styles without Looking Pregnant

and to continue this "research" which I can't believe I am doing (but that is what google is for ):

Empire Waist Dress according to about.com:
A type of dress or top where the waist line is raised above the natural waistline, sometimes as high as right below the bust. Best on slender-on-top or petite figures, the empire dress creates the illusion of length and camouflages a bottom-heavy figure or thick waist (above from Lux UO).

See Babydoll or empire waist?

ugh... study
farcemaster
farcemaster
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Shawn on Dancing with the stars, part 2. - Page 6 Empty Re: Shawn on Dancing with the stars, part 2.

Post  Vault Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:06 am

farcemaster wrote:
alcazar wrote:I think it's the "thousand yard stare" she has......I hope she remembers to smile when she's competing.

Plus that pic makes her look.............well................a bit................chunky?

I KNOW they are fashionable, but SOMEONE needs to take the kid to one side and explain that dresses that have the "waist" just below the bust are NOT flattering for Shawn's type of figure Crying or Very sad

(Here we go again)

I agree with alcazar .... about dresses that have the "waist" just below the bust ... I saw a movie one time (or was it a TV show?) that some bride-to-be needed a wedding dress but err the real problem was she was pregnant and some knowledgeable person on the show immediately said we need an "empire waist" so she won't show so much ... and from what I remember, an empire waist might have the waist right below the bust to hide what is going on in the middle....

I don't think Shawn needs to hide that! In fact I remember seeing her in another dress that alcazar would categorize has also having a waist right below the bust. I think she was wearing it in a pic with Cyndia Lauper at a reception for the Frosted Pink with a Twist benefit performance... it was the dress that had too many colors going on... so yeah this dress style just seems wrong for the reason why certain brides might considering wearing it.

I think I found a copy of the pic here:

Shawn with Cyndi Lauper

In fact here is a blog entry talking about looking either fat or pregnant while wearing an empire waist dress:

'No I'm not pregnant, I'm just fat'

and here is another Q&A talking about how well not to look pregnant while wearing an empire waist:

Q&A: How to Wear Empire Waist Styles without Looking Pregnant

and to continue this "research" which I can't believe I am doing (but that is what google is for ):

Empire Waist Dress according to about.com:
A type of dress or top where the waist line is raised above the natural waistline, sometimes as high as right below the bust. Best on slender-on-top or petite figures, the empire dress creates the illusion of length and camouflages a bottom-heavy figure or thick waist (above from Lux UO).

See Babydoll or empire waist?

ugh... study

Wow, you really did your homework on those dresses. Hahaha
Vault
Vault
junior

Back to top Go down

Shawn on Dancing with the stars, part 2. - Page 6 Empty Re: Shawn on Dancing with the stars, part 2.

Post  dallascowboy76 Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:48 pm

wow farcemaster i just have to give you credit there for going above and beyond the call of duty. that's some true dedication and i thank you for that Cool
dallascowboy76
dallascowboy76
junior

Back to top Go down

Post  kp1089 Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:53 pm

wow thanks for all that farcemaster
kp1089
kp1089
junior

Back to top Go down

Post  Scrawney Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:10 pm

farcemaster you really research all your posts well Very Happy
Scrawney
Scrawney
Intermediate

Back to top Go down

Post  kp1089 Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:23 pm

Scrawney wrote:farcemaster you really research all your posts well Very Happy

maybe we should send this particular post to shawn lol
kp1089
kp1089
junior

Back to top Go down

Post  Scrawney Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:28 pm

kp1089 wrote:
Scrawney wrote:farcemaster you really research all your posts well Very Happy

maybe we should send this particular post to shawn lol

It's probably a bit better than "Shawn I think you're really hot Very Happy"
Scrawney
Scrawney
Intermediate

Back to top Go down

Post  kp1089 Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:34 pm

she might appreciate the fashion tip ... or she might be offended that we are implying that she looks pregnant in this type of dress Laughing
kp1089
kp1089
junior

Back to top Go down

Post  Scrawney Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:36 pm

That's true, personally I don't think she's ever looked pregnant but some things have looked better than others. I like her in hoodys and tracksuits though, like what she was wearing at the Red Flannel run in Des Moines
Scrawney
Scrawney
Intermediate

Back to top Go down

Post  farcemaster Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:41 pm

thanks for all that... but not sure it is for us guys (assuming we are mostly guys) to tell a teenage girl how to dress - but come the advent of the premiere of Dancing with the Stars on March 9th - I am sure the national media (which has a tendency to be just outright cruel (besides TMZ) ) will pound on her if she makes some fashion choices that are not the best for her and those fashionista's will probably be mostly women so she will get an idea of what people will like to see her wearing but ultimately it is her choice and her parents if she goes too far off the fashion-deep end.

I remember seeing a short clip/interview with her mom, Teri, during the Gymnastics Spectacular Tour saying she wants to get Shawn home and wipe all that makeup off her! LOL. Teri Johnson has a good head on her shoulders so we will see what happens with her daughter on DWTS and how Shawn's public persona fashion-wise will be going forward. And beyond fashion, more importantly of course, is how she handles the ongoing fame ... hopefully spending a few weeks out in LA will not corrupt that good little mid-western soul

Here is an interview where Teri Johnson talks about her daughter's soul:

Amid US gymnastics disappointment, Shawn Johnson’s grace
farcemaster
farcemaster
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post  Vault Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:57 pm

Scrawney wrote:That's true, personally I don't think she's ever looked pregnant but some things have looked better than others. I like her in hoodys and tracksuits though, like what she was wearing at the Red Flannel run in Des Moines

I agree. I think she looks great in just like a jacket or something. But honestly, I think she looks great in whatever it is she's wearing. Very Happy
Vault
Vault
junior

Back to top Go down

Post  farcemaster Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:12 am

Just found this article where Teri Johnson talks about them (Shawn and her mom) moving to LA while Shawn is on DWTS

and the article is fairly long for a Des Moines Register piece where Teri gives some insights on her daughter's smile is still there but the child-like wonder of taking all this in has sort of dissipated, now that Shawn has been to so many events and is becoming as the newspaper reporter alludes to it as becoming an old pro at these appearances... here is the article:

Medals, tour, 'Dancing WTS' turn Shawn Johnson, 17, into an old pro

Some of my favorite paragraphs or insightful ones are shown below:

"This is the same Shawn Johnson who won a gold medal and three silvers at the Olympics last summer, only different. She's 2 inches taller. Two more inches and she'll crack the 5-foot barrier.

She's 17 now, which is way older than 16, no matter what the calendar says.

The Olympics were only last August, but Teri Johnson, her mother, looks at the pictures and sees a kid. The smile is still there now, but the childlike wonder has evaporated..."

"Shawn misses the gymnastics equipment and the gravity-defying tumbling. She misses working on her skills, something she can't do at the health club. She misses Chow's and the little girls who dream of following in her path.

"It was her home," Teri said."

Sunday, as Shawn bounced somebody's toddler on her knee, her mother stood at the edge of the crowd and watched.

"Once the Olympics were over, I figured we'd come home and go back to business," Teri said. "I never dreamed it would escalate the way it has. I honestly figured in a month or two we'd be back to our normal lives, and she'd be back in the gym. I guess it's naive, but I'm floored where we are."

"She's never danced in heels," her mother said, "and she's never - never - done formal dance at all."

She took a hip-hop class once and had a recital, but that's about it. This will be more about artistry and less about the power that made her the world all-around champion. We'll see how it turns out.

"She's ecstatic, thrilled to be doing this," Teri said. "She was always happiest learning a new skill. In that respect, this should be really satisfying. And (Liang) Chow has always said she's a good student."

If Shawn decides to try for London, maybe this experience will help her "artistic presentation," as the experts say.

"Ultimately," Teri said, "this could be a huge benefit for her. She's never concentrated on her grace and flexibility before."

the link has the full text of the article...
farcemaster
farcemaster
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post  kp1089 Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:58 am

farcemaster, you always have quality posts. thanks!
kp1089
kp1089
junior

Back to top Go down

Post  Mool212 Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:27 am

The Olympics were only last August, but Teri Johnson, her mother, looks at the pictures and sees a kid. The smile is still there now, but the childlike wonder has evaporated..."

I dont really like the way that sounds :/
Mool212
Mool212
junior

Back to top Go down

Post  mikeD Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:14 pm

Mool212 wrote:

i agree, i think it was kind of inevitable though...

It sounds like she misses gymnastics a lot. It never really occured to me that she would miss training, i guess i assumed she did it because it was necessary if she wanted to compete at the highest level. But i totally understand now that i read that article, it was such a big chunk of her life and when you love doing something, practice and improvement is fun for its own sake. I really hope she does get back into the gym after dwts is over.

Also, her parents are awesome, the whole post-olympic experience has had to be so strange for them, and now her mom is quitting her job and moving from Iowa to LA to be with Shawn during the show? that is dedicated parenting. i approve Very Happy
mikeD
mikeD
Beginner

Back to top Go down

Post  Mool212 Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:17 pm

Yeah when i read she was moving i thought it was by herself which would be kinda weird but the i saw her mom was going and thought that was pretty cool Smile I also thought that her dad flying out for the competitions was also pretty cool Very Happy
Mool212
Mool212
junior

Back to top Go down

Post  Scrawney Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:46 pm

Shawn's parents are great, they will do anything to support her but they never pressure her which is something that can't be said for a lot of parents who's child/children are involved in sports
Scrawney
Scrawney
Intermediate

Back to top Go down

Post  Mool212 Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:50 pm

Yeah just through my experiences with rec sports ive seen many parents push kids waay too far just to do good even though it was rec for fun. I hate when i see that, makes me angry Evil or Very Mad
Mool212
Mool212
junior

Back to top Go down

Post  White Knight Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:13 pm

I think the worst parents out there are hockey parents.....from what I have seen at least...though I have heard gymnastics parents are pretty ummm.....intense as well. Shawn's parents seem pretty cool. Shawn's mom didn't seem to mind to much that I almost ran her over after the meet and greet....(she was coming in the room as we were leaving, and I wasn't looking as we went around the corner). Very Happy
White Knight
White Knight
Beginner

Back to top Go down

Post  Mool212 Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:18 pm

Haha, that would have been a bad start (or end) to your night. Parents should let the kids decide what they want, not push them as hard as they can to do something.
Mool212
Mool212
junior

Back to top Go down

Post  White Knight Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:36 pm

Yeah it was funny cause I didn't realize who it was at first....I was more thinking, who the heck is coming in the exit....and I had just met Shawn so I was already a little out of it. LOL. Afterwards I was thinking, crap, I almost just ran over Shawn's mom, right in front of her.....smooth move!
White Knight
White Knight
Beginner

Back to top Go down

Post  kp1089 Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:38 pm

^^hahaa white knight, you would run over her mom

Mool212 wrote:Parents should let the kids decide what they want, not push them as hard as they can to do something.

you should watch the gymnastics documentary called "Pursuing the Perfect Ten." you can see it on youtube. it's centered around the Parkettes National Gymnastics Training Center which, at one time, was producing elite gymnast after elite gymnast. the coaches and parents were pushing each girl hard and, in my opinion, over the limit. parents had one girl training and trying out on an injured ankle.

every sport should promote having fun. i find that more people excel in that kind of atmosphere and are less likely to burn out over time.
kp1089
kp1089
junior

Back to top Go down

Post  Vault Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:40 pm

Mool212 wrote:

I don't like the sound of that either.

And farcemaster, your posts are always really awesome!
Vault
Vault
junior

Back to top Go down

Post  kp1089 Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:44 pm

Vault wrote:
Mool212 wrote:

I don't like the sound of that either.

And farcemaster, your posts are always really awesome!

same on both comments
kp1089
kp1089
junior

Back to top Go down

Post  Mool212 Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:50 pm

I think i saw that youtube video amidst my montage watching, was pretty pathetic how the parents pushed them that hard.
Mool212
Mool212
junior

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next