ShawnJohnsonFan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Has anybody here seen Shawn in person?

+14
kp1089
farcemaster
totorr
White Knight
Vault
gymnast21
BackFlip
dallascowboy76
ShawnFan4Ever!
tumbler17
Kyle Loves SJ
Scrawney
Matt M
Brad
18 posters

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Has anybody here seen Shawn in person? - Page 3 Empty Re: Has anybody here seen Shawn in person?

Post  farcemaster Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:26 am

Vault wrote:
Scrawney wrote:huh? I'm confused lol

farcemaster said:
Shawn did tell the crowd that night as Nastia and Shawn came on stage at the very beginning of the show and tell us all it was Nastia's birthday that day.

And they said that they sang happy birthday to her

Exactly.. they sang to her because it was her birthday.... Why else would they sing happy birthday to her?

What's funny about all of this is I don't really remember singing happy birthday to Nastia but I assume we did - it was a vague memory... since I am here on this forum I am obviously part of Shawn's every increasing fan base (which Shawn has said in an interview that she has been really surprised at the [size of the] fan base so I guess we sang happy birthday to Nastia that night) ... it was interesting being that close to them and seeing them perform (the guys too that won the Bronze team medal in Beijing).

The gymnastics spend soooo many hours in the gym and very little recognition for their hard work except maybe once every four years for 2 weeks - and the tour they went on was sort of a reward for their hard work (and the chance for us to see them in person).

I wasn't really a Nastia fun but after watching some of the interview and clips found on youtube.com , she seems like a nice person in spite of some people's nickname for her Wink
farcemaster
farcemaster
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Has anybody here seen Shawn in person? - Page 3 Empty Re: Has anybody here seen Shawn in person?

Post  Mool212 Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:35 pm

Yeah from watching the olympics she seemed kind of harsh compared to Shawn, but after watching interviews and other events like you said ive changed my mind a little bit about her.
Mool212
Mool212
junior

Back to top Go down

Post  mikeD Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:55 pm

yeah she seemed friendly/happy enough during the tour. i can't really blame her for being pretty intense during the olympics, i know for me being competitive in sports is pretty much impossible to avoid, and ive never done anything even close to the scale of the olympics
mikeD
mikeD
Beginner

Back to top Go down

Post  Mool212 Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:04 pm

haha yeah, I guess it was hard to judge though when there is always some one with a huge smile standing net to her and competing against her almost constantly lol
Mool212
Mool212
junior

Back to top Go down

Post  mikeD Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:52 pm

here's contrasting Nastia pics from the tour/olympics...
Has anybody here seen Shawn in person? - Page 3 82402810
Has anybody here seen Shawn in person? - Page 3 Gymnas10

i like the olympic one though, it looks like she's thinking
"no one else has noticed, but i see you with that camera, and i disapprove of such things during serious competition" or something along those lines
mikeD
mikeD
Beginner

Back to top Go down

Post  Mool212 Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:00 pm

I dont think shes looking at the camera, but rather just down the line of her competition. Those two pics show the difference very well though, nice find Smile
Mool212
Mool212
junior

Back to top Go down

Post  Scrawney Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:52 pm

lol! Mike, great comment. Yeah, Nastia seems pretty intense during competition but I guess that's just her being in the zone but during interviews and away from competition she's lovely
Scrawney
Scrawney
Intermediate

Back to top Go down

Post  White Knight Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:04 pm

Nastia was nice during the meet and greet I went to. I would say her, Shannon Miller and of course Shawn were the most personable. They were the one's actually talking to fans and posing for pictures (even though we were told, no one would pose). Everyone else was nice, just not as personable IMO.
White Knight
White Knight
Beginner

Back to top Go down

Post  Mool212 Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:51 pm

That could also be because they have gotten the most media attention and are relatively used to it where some of the lesser known gymnasts might just not know completely how to act and would feel a little awkward.
Mool212
Mool212
junior

Back to top Go down

Post  White Knight Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:09 pm

It could be. But they didn't necessarily seem awkward....just that they seemed more interested in there conversations with the other gymnasts then the fans. It could have also been that it was Shawn's home town and they know everyone wanted to see her. Very Happy
White Knight
White Knight
Beginner

Back to top Go down

Post  Mool212 Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:17 pm

True, i just think that the less experienced (with the media and fans) gymnasts felt more comfortable talking to the people they knew instead of complete strangers.
Mool212
Mool212
junior

Back to top Go down

Post  kp1089 Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:37 pm

Mool212 wrote:True, i just think that the less experienced (with the media and fans) gymnasts felt more comfortable talking to the people they knew instead of complete strangers.

maybe this is what shawn's mom meant about shawn losing the wonder. shawn isn't overwhelmed by the media anymore and you can tell she doesnt get very nervous like she use to.
kp1089
kp1089
junior

Back to top Go down

Post  Mool212 Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:43 pm

Which i still dont like the sound of :/ I just hope she doesnt sell out, it would be a real shame for such an amazing young lady to do that
Mool212
Mool212
junior

Back to top Go down

Post  kp1089 Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:45 pm

i know it would be a huge shame

we should decide how would we officially know if someone sold out. like set up some parameters to measure sold-outness
kp1089
kp1089
junior

Back to top Go down

Post  mikeD Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:46 pm

ive definitely never heard the term sold out being applied to gymnasts before...
mikeD
mikeD
Beginner

Back to top Go down

Post  Mool212 Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:48 pm

Im not saying shes anywhere close yet because shes not, but shes getting more attention and says she likes it but as long as she keeps herself in check which she seems pretty good at doing she should be fine.

I dont think there could be set parameters, its different for everyone i think.

Sidebar: 101 posts in a day, what have i done!
Mool212
Mool212
junior

Back to top Go down

Post  mikeD Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:51 pm

Mool212 wrote:Im not saying shes anywhere close yet because shes not, but shes getting more attention and says she likes it but as long as she keeps herself in check which she seems pretty good at doing she should be fine.

I dont think there could be set parameters, its different for everyone i think.

Sidebar: 101 posts in a day, what have i done!

yeah, youre kind of seriously out of control with the posting there...
to me sell out means the vocalist for the band stopped screaming, not sure how to apply that here...
mikeD
mikeD
Beginner

Back to top Go down

Post  Mool212 Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:52 pm

Haha, im just bored, not tired, and have nothing better to do so im replying a ton.

See, there are a lot of forms of selling out, so i dont think one standard applies to everyone.
Mool212
Mool212
junior

Back to top Go down

Post  kp1089 Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:54 pm

yea sell out doesnt apply to shawn. i think it means when you give up your morals and beliefs in exchange for something else (fame, money, ect.)

and over 100 posts in a day. wow, that's dedication
kp1089
kp1089
junior

Back to top Go down

Post  Mool212 Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:58 pm

Not dedication, just a really boring and cold day with nothing to do. But dedication sounds better so lets go with that.
Mool212
Mool212
junior

Back to top Go down

Post  mikeD Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:02 pm

i feel like selling out is more that you give up a cult following for a mainstream audience. and she's kind of risking that by appearing on a tv show. if she doesnt go back to gymnastics after, id call it selling out. i wouldn't necessarily call it wrong though. or blame her. i do think it would disappoint some fans that were with her from a while ago and replace them with new tv show fans.
mikeD
mikeD
Beginner

Back to top Go down

Post  Mool212 Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:03 pm

You put that very well, Id pretty much agree with everything you said. It would be a shame though for her not to go back, it seems like her home
Mool212
Mool212
junior

Back to top Go down

Post  kp1089 Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:07 pm

i think about selling out in that way too, like when my fav band becomes too popular and their newest music video starts showing up on mtv and their lyrics are in the aim profile of every 11 year old girl.

if she doesnt go back to gymnastics, i would think she was just leading everyone on this whole time to keep getting endorsement deals and opportunities like DWTS. there's more value if they think you are going to keep competing. carly patterson did a similar thing after she won aa gold. and yes, i would also say that shawn sold out if she didnt compete again. i wouldnt be mad, just dissappointed. it's her life, so whateverrrr
kp1089
kp1089
junior

Back to top Go down

Post  Mool212 Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:09 pm

Yeah, but she seems genuine about going back, and i think her parents would have a little talk with her if she wanted to do other things, not forcing her hand but just to make sure its what she wants.
Mool212
Mool212
junior

Back to top Go down

Post  kp1089 Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:11 pm

after the article where shawn's mom talks about shawn missing the gym, i think that she is really going to put an effort into coming back. before i thought it was bull, but i think it's true now. the next olympics are in 2012, why rush back?
kp1089
kp1089
junior

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next