ShawnJohnsonFan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

English phrases? Or are they.................? Now with translation.

+3
Scrawney
Nicole L
alcazar
7 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

English phrases? Or are they.................? Now with translation. - Page 2 Empty Re: English phrases? Or are they.................? Now with translation.

Post  Scrawney Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:27 pm

Oui Very Happy
Scrawney
Scrawney
Intermediate

Back to top Go down

English phrases? Or are they.................? Now with translation. - Page 2 Empty Re: English phrases? Or are they.................? Now with translation.

Post  White Knight Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:17 pm

I was on a cruise once in the Caribbean and we went to Dominique (I think)...anyways before we left, they give you a little info on each island....the guy told us we only needed to know three french words.

Bon Jour
Wee Wee
rrrhaha (I dont know how i would spell that.... Very Happy )
White Knight
White Knight
Beginner

Back to top Go down

Post  dallascowboy76 Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:01 pm

did it help once you got on the island?
dallascowboy76
dallascowboy76
junior

Back to top Go down

Post  Vault Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:54 pm

alcazar wrote:
Vault wrote:We, at least here, tend to slur things together sometimes, too, and just create a ton of slang and use words the way they're not normally used.

Shocked Shocked What? Americans do those things? Shocked Shocked Surely not? Wink

Not to mention mispronounce stuff like lever, tomato, nuclear and aluminium:D Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

LOL Very Happy

Hey, I say lever right. And it's tow-mate-o. None of that tom-ah-tow crap. Wink Jk. And I do say nuclear right. It bugs me when people pronounce it nucular. Evil or Very Mad and aluminum is easy. I just can't say anemone.
Vault
Vault
junior

Back to top Go down

Post  alcazar Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:56 am

I once had a whole group of 16 year olds going for an hour or more, because someone mentioned the word, "barracuda".

I said, "I hate that word, barracuda, I can never say it right, it comes out "baccaruda" ". Very Happy

Of course one picked up that I HAD said it right, and challenged me, and on and on it went. You can get kids of that age to believe almost anything if you keep a straight face.

OH, and it's LEEVER, TOMAHTO, NEW-CLEAR and look, you even SPELLED aluminIum wrong LOL
alcazar
alcazar
Beginner

Back to top Go down

Post  dallascowboy76 Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:19 pm

i always wondered how someone from the UK felt about this. How do you feel when someone, say someone from the US, pronounces the Jaguar (car) Jag-wire instead of Jag-u-are???
dallascowboy76
dallascowboy76
junior

Back to top Go down

Post  Scrawney Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:10 pm

I think a few years ago I would of been like Surprised its Jag-u-are!! but now since it's owned by an Indian firm (via Ford) I don't mind as much. I would still prefer it is was pronounced the proper way though Razz
Scrawney
Scrawney
Intermediate

Back to top Go down

Post  Vault Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:45 pm

dallascowboy76 wrote:i always wondered how someone from the UK felt about this. How do you feel when someone, say someone from the US, pronounces the Jaguar (car) Jag-wire instead of Jag-u-are???

I say Jag-wire. And sometimes Jag-waar.
Vault
Vault
junior

Back to top Go down

Post  White Knight Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:49 pm

Hmmm....well everyone around the world thinks us Chicago people all talk like gangsters..... Very Happy
White Knight
White Knight
Beginner

Back to top Go down

Post  Vault Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:57 pm

White Knight wrote:Hmmm....well everyone around the world thinks us Chicago people all talk like gangsters..... Very Happy

They don't?! Shocked
Vault
Vault
junior

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2