ShawnJohnsonFan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

back from the trip

+5
White Knight
dallascowboy76
Vault
Scrawney
David K
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

back from the trip Empty back from the trip

Post  David K Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:14 am

Só, I forgot to tell you guys that I was going on a trip back to Ohio with a few friends to see some of the friends we still keep in touch with from about 11 years ago lol. Got back in last night after all that wonderful flying... Crying or Very sad Which really sucked for me lol. I think I threw up about 3 times between all the flights there and back.
David K
David K
junior

Back to top Go down

back from the trip Empty Re: back from the trip

Post  Scrawney Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:21 am

That sucks with the throwing up. I'm guessing flying isn't your thing? lol. Hope you had a good time when you were actually in Ohio though and glad to have you back on the forums
Scrawney
Scrawney
Intermediate

Back to top Go down

Post  David K Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:26 am

Thanks man, and yea i'm not much for anything that moves without me moving it lol. Even just in a car with too many stops or really bumpy will get to me lol.
David K
David K
junior

Back to top Go down

Post  Scrawney Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:28 am

David K wrote:Thanks man, and yea i'm not much for anything that moves without me moving it lol. Even just in a car with too many stops or really bumpy will get to me lol.

I'm not the best flyer either but I find that as long as I'm kept busy on the flight then I'm alright and for some reason I always manage to fall asleep on planes too
Scrawney
Scrawney
Intermediate

Back to top Go down

Post  David K Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:41 am

Scrawney wrote:
David K wrote:Thanks man, and yea i'm not much for anything that moves without me moving it lol. Even just in a car with too many stops or really bumpy will get to me lol.

I'm not the best flyer either but I find that as long as I'm kept busy on the flight then I'm alright and for some reason I always manage to fall asleep on planes too
I wish I could manage to fall asleep on a plane, and I try to keep myself busy and listening to music the whole flight to keep my mind off of what i'm on...but any slight changes in how its flying and i'm likely to sick up.
David K
David K
junior

Back to top Go down

Post  Scrawney Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:47 am

Ah yeah, one flight I was on had really bad turbulence but luckily it was towards the end of the flight but when I came off the plane I was as white as a ghost
Scrawney
Scrawney
Intermediate

Back to top Go down

Post  David K Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:55 am

That sounds like the plane they use for Casper to Denver....that thing still scares me....it feels like its about to fall apart and the whole flight its shaking.....I guess its what I get for living in a state that has as many people as The Ohio State University......
David K
David K
junior

Back to top Go down

Post  Vault Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:51 pm

Ohio is bomb. My mom is thinking of making a trip up there during spring break.
Vault
Vault
junior

Back to top Go down

Post  dallascowboy76 Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:08 pm

there are two things i like in Ohio. The Indians and of course America's Roller Coast Cedar Point Cool I'm guessing roller coasters aren't your thing right david?
dallascowboy76
dallascowboy76
junior

Back to top Go down

Post  Vault Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:42 pm

I love roller coasters! And even though I'm from Ohio, there's plenty of Indians here, too.
Vault
Vault
junior

Back to top Go down

Post  White Knight Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:47 pm

Woo Hoo roller coasters!! You gotta love them.....it's why I got into engineering....though only 2 companies in the world design them....one in Japan and one in Denver I believe.
White Knight
White Knight
Beginner

Back to top Go down

Post  Scrawney Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:50 am

White Knight wrote:Woo Hoo roller coasters!! You gotta love them.....it's why I got into engineering....though only 2 companies in the world design them....one in Japan and one in Denver I believe.

Well you learn something everyday Very Happy
Scrawney
Scrawney
Intermediate

Back to top Go down

Post  David K Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:00 pm

dallascowboy76 wrote:there are two things i like in Ohio. The Indians and of course America's Roller Coast Cedar Point Cool I'm guessing roller coasters aren't your thing right david?
mmmm.....I think I would rather jump off a 50 ft cliff then get in one of those lol.
David K
David K
junior

Back to top Go down

Post  dallascowboy76 Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:41 pm

that's funny i'd do the exact opposite Cool
dallascowboy76
dallascowboy76
junior

Back to top Go down

Post  kp1089 Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:03 pm

cedar point is sick! i am not a huge fan of roller coasters, but i rode a bunch at cedar point. it's amazing!!
kp1089
kp1089
junior

Back to top Go down

Post  Scrawney Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:23 pm

I like normal roller coasters just not the swinging ones or the ones where you go vertically up really slowly and then down really fast
Scrawney
Scrawney
Intermediate

Back to top Go down

Post  Vault Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:10 pm

Scrawney wrote:I like normal roller coasters just not the swinging ones or the ones where you go vertically up really slowly and then down really fast

But that's like, what? Almost all of them? Lol jk.
Vault
Vault
junior

Back to top Go down

Post  Scrawney Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:12 pm

lol I admit I didn't describe that well. There's one at a theme park here that gives something like 5 vertical g, which is 5x your body weight being pushed down on you
Scrawney
Scrawney
Intermediate

Back to top Go down

Post  Vault Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:14 pm

Yeah. Like a G is the force of gravity on earth. G = Gravity. 5 Gs is 5x the force of the earth's gravity pushing against you which is a whole heck of a lot!
Vault
Vault
junior

Back to top Go down

Post  kp1089 Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:32 pm

5G's is way too much
kp1089
kp1089
junior

Back to top Go down

Post  farcemaster Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:53 am

I was once at Disney World in Orlando and there was some ride that had Mars in the title or something about going to Mars so I guess it was called something like the Mars ride... but anyway they advertised the ride as a 2G ride and if you have certain medical conditions - you shouldn't ride it.... I heard some woman in their late 40s rode it and had like a heart attack and died... in fact true to my nature in other posts... I found the online story talking about that death of a 49 year old (and a 4 year old also died):

Woman who died after Disney ride had brain bleeding

the shocking thing is this little tidbit from the article:

"Bluemel, who died Wednesday, is the second person in less than a year to become ill while riding Mission: Space at Epcot and die later in the hospital. In June, 4-year-old Daudi Bamuwamye of Pennsylvania lost consciousness while riding with his mother"

...here is a link to an article about the 4 year old dying on the same ride I took:

4-year-old dies on Disney World ride

and here is a follow up article on what Disney did to make sure more people didn't die during their 2G ride:

Disney to Offer a Milder Thrill Ride to Mars

so maybe it isn't a "2G" ride anymore.... certainly the roller coasters in this country can't be 5G.... I think the astronauts might get up to 7Gs in their tests and those people are in really good shape - or should be before progressing in their extreme phase of their training.... and true to my nature I found this article describing G forces experienced by USA astronauts with the relevant paragraph preceding the web link:

"When a fighter pilot makes a loop in the sky he is pressed against his seat by a force that is seven times greater than his body weight, that is, 7 g. This type of g force is what all astronauts feel when they leave or enter the Earth’s atmosphere. When Apollo 11 returned from the Moon the capsule’s rate of fall was so great that its occupants were subjected to as much as 7 g pressing against their bodies. The astronauts had been trained to withstand such pressure in the centrifuges. Centrifuges have a mechanical arm that rotates a compartment at high speed following a circular path. Passengers inside the compartment feel their bodies pressed against the seats by the centrifugal force. The speed at which these centrifuges turn is increased progressively so that the occupant can get used to the overwhelming pressure crushing his body. From 9 g on the human body cannot move. Most people become unconscious when they reach 10 g but some manage to go beyond this barrier and reach 14 or 15 g. In these cases facial muscles become hideously deformed revealing to what point space travel can affect the human body."

Link to the article used to reference the above paragraph can be found here:

1.4 HOMO SAPIENS ASTRONAUTICUS

... here is another article mentioning 6Gs during descent of Virgin Galactic's Space Ship Two Are You Ready For The Final Frontier?

and as I continue to beat a dead horse (what an unfortunate choice of words), I found this article where the G forces could reach 6 G's on Virgin Galatic's Space Ship Two (but this article has some more fun info on becoming a passenger one day on this space ship):

Virgin Galactic Passenger Space Flights

Interestingly enough, Virgin Galactic has had a bunch of prospective clients pass some of these extreme G forces tests:

"Virgin Galactic is challenging the widely held belief that astronauts need to be "superhuman" in terms of health and fitness. Eighty ordinary people have undergone medical tests and centrifuge training, to ensure they are capable of making the flight into space (which involves loadings of 3.5G on the way up and 6G on the way down). 93 percent of those applicants passed the tests, with the oldest being 88 years of age. Richard Branson's father intends to fly in space at age 92!"

hmmmm here is the article link: SpaceShipTwo/White Knight Two Unveiled so maybe American roller coasters can be set to higher Gs than I originally thought? (but you need some warning signs like they had at Disney else some people will expire!)

and to tie this all back to Shawn... she has said to dream big (hasn't she) and well Richard Branson of Virgin Galactic has certainly dreamed big on this one - I found his myspace.com page once and tried to get him (or his people) to add me as one of his friends... but they never did add me silent Sad
farcemaster
farcemaster
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post  dallascowboy76 Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:40 pm

you see to me, i really don't pay attention to fatalities health related. i just care if it's reliable Cool but i can't imagine 5 G's on a roller coaster Shocked there would probably be people blacking out left and right.
dallascowboy76
dallascowboy76
junior

Back to top Go down

Post  Mool212 Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:06 pm

Or you could just be like the idiot in georgia who got decapitated because he hopped like 3 fences to get to his cell phone he lost during the ride...idiot
Mool212
Mool212
junior

Back to top Go down

Post  White Knight Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:22 pm

Mool212 wrote:Or you could just be like the idiot in georgia who got decapitated because he hopped like 3 fences to get to his cell phone he lost during the ride...idiot

Well what if it was you and the phone had Shawn's number on it? You may risk it Wink I would.....hehe.
White Knight
White Knight
Beginner

Back to top Go down

Post  Mool212 Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:36 pm

You go and tell the lost and found people that your phone fell off, they go tell the ride operators to hold on for a minute, they get your phone and return it, tell the ride to start, and you keep your head where it should be Very Happy
Mool212
Mool212
junior

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next