ShawnJohnsonFan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Motorcycles

4 posters

Go down

Motorcycles Empty Motorcycles

Post  White Knight Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:30 pm

So anyone else here ride motorcycles or interested in them? I currently own a Kawasaki Ninja 250 that I had purchased to learn on. I'm looking to upgrade to a larger bike, but haven't decided what yet.

I also love to watch MotoGP, though I haven't had the chance recently since we got rid of the Speed channel. But I used to follow Valentino Rossi for awhile.

Anyone else?
White Knight
White Knight
Beginner

Back to top Go down

Motorcycles Empty Re: Motorcycles

Post  Scrawney Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:13 pm

I've never ridden a motorbike but I love Moto GP and it took me ages to find someone who actually likes it. The British GP next year is going to be semi near where I live so I might have to get tickets. Like you I am a huge Rossi fan but Stoner has his moments too
Scrawney
Scrawney
Intermediate

Back to top Go down

Post  dallascowboy76 Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:42 pm

i don't ride a motorcycle....yet. but that's just crazy that you got the same bike that me and a couple of my friends are interested in. how is it in your opinion? and do you think you're gonna stick to crotch rockets, or maybe just a standard bike?
dallascowboy76
dallascowboy76
junior

Back to top Go down

Post  alcazar Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:25 am

Hate them with a vengeance. I know over 30 people killed on them on UK roads, mostly under 21. Sad Sad Sad
alcazar
alcazar
Beginner

Back to top Go down

Post  White Knight Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:33 am

I think my bike is great for beginners. Part of the problem (and this kind of addresses alcazar's comment) is that too many people starting out get too large of a bike and never learn to properly control it. I always hear this people saying that they are going to get a larger bike, because they aren't going to go as fast as it is capable of going. That's the problem though. If you get into a situation where you need to make a quick maneuver or get out of somewhere fast, you crank on the throttle and the larger more powerful bikes are less forgiving. In my opinion the most important thing to learn is throttle control and you just cannot do that on a larger bike, period. Chances are you will get into a turn and high-side the bike (look it up on youtube, not pretty). And if you do decide to ride a). take a class and b). invest in good gear. As far as crotch rockets vs a standard bike, it's all preference, I like the seating positions of sport bikes. A lot of people don't.
White Knight
White Knight
Beginner

Back to top Go down

Post  alcazar Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:07 pm

Would agree with most of the above, but most kids I knew were killed on 50's or 125's Sad
alcazar
alcazar
Beginner

Back to top Go down

Post  White Knight Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:07 pm

That sucks alcazar, I am sorry to hear that. Sad

I think if you ride you need to understand the risk and be mature about it. You need to know it's not a game. But what does annoy me around here are the news reports on bike accidents. Always around spring time, you get the report of someone on Lake Shore Drive hitting a wall doing 125 mph. And then the newscaster making a comment on how bikes are dangerous. Well yes they are, but so is the idiot doing 125 on a city street. Chances are if you hit the wall at 125mph in a Toyota Corrola you will probably die too!

Anyways, Scrawney you ever see the movie "Faster"? It's a great documentary about MotoGP. Hmmm...now talking about it, I really want to go watch it! Very Happy
White Knight
White Knight
Beginner

Back to top Go down

Post  alcazar Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:16 am

Car versus bike? Well, maybe at stupid speeds, but most accidents aren't at those sorts of speeds.

And with the latest crash protection, kids in cars walk away. I know personally an 18 year old who lost control of his car on a very wet, just freezing road. Rolled it down a 30 foot embankment Shocked
There was not one panel on the car left straight, tailgate and bonnet ripped off, it did at least 5 complete rolls, and ended up on it's side, no glass, suspension smashed to hell. Shocked

Tiny little car: Citroen Saxo VTR.

And the driver? Walked away with a slight bump to his head, a piece of windscreen glass in his scalp, and LOADS of scratches on his arms where he walked back to the top of the embankment, in shock, STRAIGHT THROUGH a load of brambles Smile

Yet another lad, NUDGED off his bike, straight under a lorry, (truck) Sad Happened at less than 10mph Sad Sad Sad He was 17.
alcazar
alcazar
Beginner

Back to top Go down

Post  White Knight Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:57 am

Well I don't want to get in an argument here on whether they are safe or not, I know that aren't, though so aren't a lot of other activities people do Wink. And we can quote statistics on either side of an aurgument to prove a point, but I don't think it is worth it.

I just want to say if you are going to ride, be smart, know the risks, wear the gear and get properly trained. I personally think you shouldn't ride until you are at least 18. And you better be a mature 18 and a good rider. Keep the high speed and racing to the track. And remember there is only 2 types of riders, those who have gone down and those who are going to go down.
White Knight
White Knight
Beginner

Back to top Go down

Post  Scrawney Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:19 am

Well said, Knight. I don't think I would ever ride a bike but I'm interested in them and like I said before I love Moto GP so I'll always support them in some way
Scrawney
Scrawney
Intermediate

Back to top Go down

Post  White Knight Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:09 pm

BTW in one of the bio's Shawn's agent put out, it says that one of her interests is motorcycles Smile
White Knight
White Knight
Beginner

Back to top Go down

Post  alcazar Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:45 am

White Knight wrote:BTW in one of the bio's Shawn's agent put out, it says that one of her interests is motorcycles Smile

A girl that likes bikes? ROFL, must be a bit like one of my ex's who, when I asked her if she drove, she said yes, and when I asked what car, she said, "A red one".

No really!

When I cracked up, she was really miffed and said, "How am I supposed to know? My dad got it for me, I didn't choose it".

Girls Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
alcazar
alcazar
Beginner

Back to top Go down

Post  dallascowboy76 Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:14 pm

did you ever find out what model the car was???
dallascowboy76
dallascowboy76
junior

Back to top Go down

Post  White Knight Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:49 pm

So last year I didn't watch MotoGP, because I didn't have Speed network at the time.....and I totally missed this race......intense:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfPM77TsGaA

Did you watch this scrawny? I wish I could have seen it live.
White Knight
White Knight
Beginner

Back to top Go down

Post  Scrawney Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:10 pm

Surprised that race was epic, best race of the year. Rossi and Stoner were just in a different league to the other guys. At least you got a chance to see it Very Happy
Scrawney
Scrawney
Intermediate

Back to top Go down

Post  White Knight Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:15 pm

Yeah. It gave me shivers. LOL.

Usually when someone gets in a race like that with Rossi, it's over quickly. Stoner actually battled him.
White Knight
White Knight
Beginner

Back to top Go down

Post  Scrawney Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:31 pm

That's true, I mean Biaggi, Gibernau, Capirossi and Hayden are just a few who have tried it and they usually give up after a few laps but Stoner took him on for the whole race pretty much
Scrawney
Scrawney
Intermediate

Back to top Go down

Post  White Knight Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:58 pm

Well Biaggi got his but kicked on and off the track..... Very Happy
White Knight
White Knight
Beginner

Back to top Go down

Post  Scrawney Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:02 pm

Lol yeah, I never really liked Biaggi and Rossi pretty much destroyed him every race
Scrawney
Scrawney
Intermediate

Back to top Go down

Post  White Knight Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:07 pm

Yeah, the movie/documentary "Faster" shows one race where Rossi fell behind Biaggi down to 14th. And Biaggi thinks he has an easy win and out of nowhere comes Rossi to win it.

Biaggi then tried fighting Rossi and got his butt whopped. Very Happy
White Knight
White Knight
Beginner

Back to top Go down

Post  Scrawney Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:14 pm

lol! I'll watch that, I remember when Biaggi elbowed Rossi to stop him overtaking and Rossi blitzed past him a few laps later
Scrawney
Scrawney
Intermediate

Back to top Go down

Post  White Knight Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:19 pm

Ah yes, the infamous elbow incident and then Rossi giving him the finger....LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_b-ns8TZaQ
White Knight
White Knight
Beginner

Back to top Go down

Post  Scrawney Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:07 am

Thanks for finding that clip White Knight Very Happy I love those 2 commentators because they get excited about everything unlike the BBC commentators who were pretty bored during Laguna Seca!
Scrawney
Scrawney
Intermediate

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum