ShawnJohnsonFan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[Guide] Proxy Help

Go down

[Guide] Proxy Help Empty [Guide] Proxy Help

Post  Godfather Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:53 pm

This guide was from a game cheating site that I belong to. This guide was made for the intent of anonymous game cheating for a particular game, but I'm pretty sure it would be just as useful for viewing the videos on NBC if your from out of this country. I'm not really sure if this is violating any of this site's TOS, so I may have to remove it. If this is all still confusing I'm pretty sure I can dig up some other information. I didn't really bother reading it, but from replies on the site I have figured that it was worth posting. It might have some tech jargon so just let me know if you don't understand something.

Code:
*Title Removed*

If you want to test this set-up, scroll down to the end of part 2 and follow the instructions.

This is a tutorial to show you how to use a proxy for Gaia using the Tor Network. By using this particular set-up you aren't limited to a proxy service through a website or a single IP:Port Proxy. This set-up uses a whole network of routers that ensure your identity is hidden.

I made this tutorial so people who use multiple Gaia accounts and bots could keep each of their different accounts from linking to each other through internet footprints and IP addresses. YES THIS CAN SLOW THE CONNECTION DOWN BY A LITTLE BIT. There are ways to fix this, and I will show you later on in the tutorial. But this set-up will also ensure that you don't encounter 'chain-banning'. It can also be used to your advantage for various other sinister actions, but that you can figure out yourself. ;P

Note: This tutorial is mainly for users whose primary browser is Firefox. It has some issues with IE at the moment and I suggest you keep the proxy settings disabled in IE if you use IE a lot to surf the net, and only have the proxy settings enabled when you want to have external programs (like our precious bots) go through the Tor Network.

(Parts of the two explanatory paragraphs below were taken from different articles on the web, just so you are aware.)

The Way It Works: Tor implements a form of onion routing to, basically, push encrypted data through multiple Tor nodes (servers), before it reaches the final destination (e.g. a website). The result is that neither the website owner, nor a local eavesdropper, nor any single Tor server knows who requested that specific website, hence you are communicating anonymously.

IMPORTANT! Compatibility with IE: Currently the way this set-up works, it uses the 'Privoxy' utility, a configurable HTTP proxy that 'sanitizes' your web-browsing experience by removing nasty banner ads, pop-ups, JavaScript, webbugs, cookies etc. Privoxy is also used to prevent what is called 'DNS leaks', which is where, although a program is using Tor to anomymize traffic, it still sends an untorified DNS request in order to get the IP address of the target location. Then from that point forward they communicate 'anonymously' with that location. You can obviously tell that this means someone can still possibly trace the footprint back to you. Using the Tor Network together with Privoxy, these leaks are prevented, which is crucial to what we're trying to accomplish here.

Because of this, using IE with proxy settings on and while Privoxy is enabled causes some issues with certain web pages on the internet if you're using IE to browse pages. If you do use IE for this purpose, then refer to the Note statement above for the temporary solution I have come up with until I can figure out how to fix the compatibility issues this has with IE.

And finally, on with the show.

Part 1: Installing Tor

Step 1: Go to Tor Project and click 'Download' in the top menu of the site. When you reach the next page click the link in the column 'Download Stable' that corresponds to the OS that you're currently running.

Step 2: After you've downloaded the setup file for Tor, go ahead and run it. You'll notice it's called 'Vidalia Bundle', don't worry about that right now, we'll get to that in a moment. Now, when you get to the screen where it asks you which components you want to install, have all of them checked, EXCEPT for 'Tor Button'. (It's a Firefox extension, but doesn't provide the functionality needed for this set-up.)

Step 3: When the rest of the set-up is complete, start-up Vidalia & Privoxy if they aren't automatically run after your installation finishes.

Part 2: Install Foxy Proxy Add-on

Step 1: Go to the Firefox Add-ons official website and search for the extension 'FoxyProxy' and install it to Firefox. Then you should restart the browser.

Step 2: After restarting Firefox, a window will pop-up prompting you to set-up the extension. Follow the screenshots below to complete the set-up.

•Click Yes.

•Click With.

•Click Yes.

•Just click OK.

•Click Yes.

•Click the existing pattern 'Google Mail' on the list and click Delete Selection.
      •Click Add New Pattern.

•Type exactly what is shown in this screen. It is crucial for the asterisk (*) to be at the end and the beginning of the web address, so you stay hidden anywhere you go on Gaia.

After this, click OK.

In order for the set-up to work properly, Foxy Proxy should be set to the mode that says "Use proxies based on their pre-defined patterns & priorities", like in the above image.

You are now done setting up Foxy Proxy for Tor Network use with Gaia. Foxy Proxy will only use the Tor Network whenever you visit Gaia.

Note: If you want, you can also add other patterns (websites) to the list to use the Tor Network. Just go to the options of the Foxy Proxy add-on, click the Proxies tab, and in the list, click the one that says 'Tor' then click Edit Selection. Then a new window will pop-up and from there you just click Add New Pattern and you can add the website of your choosing. Just remember the asterisk (*) at the beginning and end of the address, otherwise it will use a proxy for strictly the link you type in.

If you want to see if this set-up works, add http://*.danasoft.com/* to your list of patterns in Foxy Proxy. When you go to Dana Soft, the signs will display information that is radically different from your real information. The only thing that will stay the same is the browser & OS. For those who are unsure of this set-up's actual reliability. Here's what it showed for me. Of course this is definitely not my IP or where I live near.

Part 3: Setting up Vidalia & IE

Note: Vidalia is the front-end application that allows you to customize and manage the Tor Network. Unless you're sure of what you're doing, do not go changing settings in here because it can cause your anonymity to quit working. Moving on.

Step 1: Double click Vidalia's icon (the little green onion) in the notification area of the taskbar. A window will pop-up with different actions you can perform.

Step 2: Click Settings, and look under each of the following tabs and make sure the information matches; if not, change it to match.

•Under Sharing, the 'Run as a client only' radio button should be selected.
      •Under Advanced, the Address box should have '127.0.0.1 : 9051'.

After you've finished this, click OK.

Step 3: Go to Internet Explorer, and navigate to options. Go to the 'Connections' tab, and towards the bottom click 'LAN Settings'

Step 4: When the window comes up, make sure the 'Use a proxy server for your LAN' box has a check in it, then click Advanced next to the port text box.

Step 5: In this new window, all of the text boxes should reflect the screenshot above.

When you are finished click OK & apply your changes and then close IE.

Note: If you want websites to see your PC under a different IP address, right click on the Vidalia icon in the System Tray, and select 'New Identity'. This also helps getting a faster connection through the Tor Network.

Conclusion: This is the ideal set-up for Firefox centric users, as it allows you to hide your IP & other info from a specific list of websites. Since there aren't a lot of customization options for IE, any website you visit will be loaded through a proxy. If you need to temporarily turn off the Tor Network for IE, just go back to LAN Settings in the Connection tab and un-check 'Use a proxy server' option, and re-enable it when you need to.

With this set-up, any bots you use will always be hidden through the Tor Network since the bots use IE's internet settings to connect. And through firefox you can now use all of your accounts anonymously so Gaia isn't able to tie your accounts together.
Smile
Godfather
Godfather
Chow

http://godfatherart.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down